fbpx

December Meeting Minutes

Share
Attendees
  • Kjirsten Anderson, ANSR, Regional Prevention Coordinator
  • Clint Gunderson, Metro State University (student)
  • Renee Gust, Hennepin County Services & Public Health Department (State/Local Gov’t)
  • Tara Helm, North Memorial/ PFC
  • Camryn Krause Ferris, Joint Community Police Partnership, Crystal Police Department (State/Local Gov’t)
  • Shane Mikkelson, Osseo Police Department (Law Enforcement)
  • LeeAnn Mortensen, Hazelden Betty Ford Foundations (Other Substance Abuse Organization)
  • Sheila Nesbitt, North Memorial (Healthcare)
  • Alyssa Nyberg, Fairview Behavioral Services (Other Substance Abuse Organization)
Steering Committee Members Not in Attendance
  • Krista Brenno, Osseo High School (Schools)
  • Jen Holper, PrairieCare (Youth Serving Organization)
  • Teresa Lunt (Parent)
  • Marie Maslowski, North Memorial Health (Healthcare)
  • Randi Ordner, PrairieCare (Youth Serving Organization)
  • Lauren Prnjat, Hennepin Regional Poison Center (Other Substance Abuse Organization)
  • Jessica Wong, Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation (Other Substance Abuse Organization)
Welcome & Introductions

Teresa Lunt, the PFC chair, was unable to attend. She asked LeeAnn Mortensen to chair the meeting in her place. LeeAnn called the meeting to order at 2pm. Attendees introduced themselves and shared a cartoon character they would like to spend a day with.

A correction was made to the September meeting minutes. A motion was made and seconded to approve the September minutes as corrected and the November minutes. Motion carried.

Engaging Youth

In previous meetings, the coalition prioritized trying to engage youth in our work. Tara and Teresa presented at the Maple Grove Explorers meeting. Alyssa pointed out that youth may be interested in getting community involvement or community service hours. The group agreed that we want to reach out to pre-existing groups about specific projects or opportunities even if they aren’t able to attend coalition meetings. LeeAnn mentioned past projects like a door decorating contest. Tara is interested in getting youth involved in marijuana advocacy. Camryn is willing to outreach to SAIL (Students Ahead in Life) at the FAIR School if there is a specific project we would like them involved with. [ACTION]: Camryn will help Tara reach out to Miamon Queeglay who is now with Brooklyn Center Schools about their involvement. [ACTION]: Tara will identify and create brief descriptions of projects and other ways that youth can be involved in the coalition.

Members also discussed the faith community as a potential priority for outreach. LeeAnn and Sheila briefly described a faith forum that was helpful several years ago. Faith leaders expressed appreciation for the forum and it provided helpful contacts within the faith community for projects we worked on at that time.

Medicine Drop Box Campaign Results

Tara presented results from the Medicine Drop Box campaign (see PowerPoint). Members discussed the significant increase in weight of medicines collected at Osseo. One difference between the Osseo and Brooklyn Center PD locations is that the Osseo PD is attached to the Community Center and library and gets a lot of daily visitors. The Brooklyn Center PD and other PDs may not have the same level of general public traffic.

Sheila shared that an important outcome of the campaign that is not reflected on the results from Voom is that the materials were hand delivered to dentist offices, pharmacies, and other provider locations. Several pharmacies were very interested in the materials and received new information (e.g., did not know that BCPD now had a box.) Sheila felt we should continue to think about ways to support and outreach to pharmacies. Tara reported that she met with Jeff Wigfield the North Memorial Outpatient Pharmacy manager who expressed how much he learned and what he was able to implement because of his involvement with PFC.

Members expressed interest in possibly doing the campaign again. The campaign was possible because of a grant from Perrigo. We will see if there is future funding available or if DFC funds may be available to run this campaign again, especially if any new boxes are placed.

North Memorial Community Health Assessment

LeeAnn shared that North Memorial Health will be conducting a Community Health Assessment. The assessment is conducted every three years and provides direction for hospital priorities, including community benefit and community outreach. LeeAnn and Sheila will share information about how to participate in the process.

Enhanced Social Host Ordinance

The coalition has two activities within our Social Host strategy for the coming year. 1) Educate community members about social host ordinances and support implementation of the policy 2) Pass new or expand existing social host ordinances.

Within the education activity, members discussed

  • Draft a chiefs column in city newsletters
  • An ad or column in school newsletters
  • Spring break or prom letters
  • Joint robo call from principals and chiefs

Within the policy activity, members discussed the effectiveness of the Chiefs meeting held in 2013 when PFC was selecting strategies to implement. Chiefs from every department attended and gave a green light to POLD, RAVE, and Source Investigations as primary strategies within the SPF-SIG funding that the coalition had at that time. This would be a good time for another meeting among Chiefs to help motivate action around E-SHO, POLD, drop boxes, and marijuana advocacy. [ACTION]: Sheila and Tara will look into planning another Chiefs meeting. The meeting will potentially be in February or March. We will invite new Sheriff Hutchinson. [ACTION]: Shane will be one of the co-host chiefs for the meeting. [ACTION]: Kjirsten and Camryn agreed to contribute to efforts around SHO. [ACTION]: Tara will look at past communications and revise or create materials for use with partners. This activity may wait until there is progress on policy adoption or revision.

Policy Maker Outreach Action Planning

There was limited time for discussion of a full action plan, but Sheila and Tara encouraged members to let them know if they have ideas or contacts for outreach to policymakers around marijuana. Coalition members asked that Tara provide monthly updates about the work of SAMMn.

Community Partner Sharing

National Leadership Forum & SAMHSA’s Prevention Day in National Harbor, Maryland on February 3-7, 2019. Tara will be attending. The coalition has funding for two other members to attend. If you are interested in attending the conference, please let Tara know.

The SAPST in Rochester has been cancelled. Kjirsten expects the SAPST in Bloomington March 25-28, 2019 to be quite full. Register early.

Contact Tara if you are interested in attending any of these trainings!

Adjourned at 4:03 PM

Next Meeting is: Tuesday, January 8, 2019, 2:00 to 4:00 pm at Maple Grove Government Center, Mayor’s Conference Room

Share Your Thoughts

*

* Copy This Password *

* Type Or Paste Password Here *